NOTE: The procedure for applying for a passport has changed considerably since writing this article. I encourage you to visit http://passportindia.gov.in to know the exact procedure.
I've recently applied for reissue of my parents' passports. While there is information available on the passport site http://passport.gov.in/cpv/obtain.htm, it is not very organized. Here I try to organize that information and provide some extra details which might be necessary for applying for a new passport or reissuing an existing passport.
Exact procedure for online registration is at http://www.ap.nic.in/passport/How%20to%20register%20online.pdf. Some points to keep in mind are:
- The procedure for online registration is similar to what is mentioned above. Except for that instead of downloading and filling the form, you first visit https://passport.gov.in/pms/Information.jsp, fill in your details, and then download a partially filled form on which the date and time of your appointment are printed. You then need to fill this form and submit it.
- Online registration is used for submitting the passport only at the Passport Office. AFAIK, there is no such facility (online registration) if you would like to submit the passport at any of the other centres such as E-seva or Speed Post.
- You should arrive at Regional Passport Office about 15 minutes before the appointed time and proceed to the respective counter.
- At least in Andhra Pradesh (not sure of other places), Online registration is necessary if you wish to submit your application (Tatkal or ordinary) at the passport office for New / Reissue of Passport. There is no direct walk-in submission of application form for New / Reissue of Passport at the passport office. If you need to apply for New / Reissue of Passport in the ordinary course without going through online registration, consider sumbitting at one of the other centres.
Instructions for applying for Tatkal are available at http://passport.gov.in/cpv/TatkalScheme.htm. Go through them. Summarizing:
- If an applicant desires to obtain his passport under the Tatkal Scheme, a verification certificate as per the specimen at ANNEXURE ‘F’ (http://passport.gov.in/cpv/ANNEXUREF_vc_tatkaal.htm) and standard affidavit as Annexure “I” (http://passport.gov.in/cpv/ANNEXUREI_std.htm) should be submitted along with the TATKAAL fee.
- The applicant also has the option to obtain a passport under Tatkal Scheme on submission of three documents from the Fourteen documents as mentioned below, provided one of the three documents is a photo identity document and atleast one of the three is amongst the documents indicated at (a) to (i) and a standard affidavit (Annexure “I”) (http://passport.gov.in/cpv/ANNEXUREI_std.htm) on non-judicial stamp paper duly attested by a Notary:
(a) Electors Photo Identity Card (EPIC);
(b) Service Identity Card issued by State/Central Government, Public Sector Undertakings, local bodies or Public Limited Companies;
(c) SC/ST/ OBC Certificates;
(d) Freedom Fighter Identity Cards;
(e) Arms Licenses;
(f) Property Documents such as Pattas, Registered Deeds etc.;
(g) Rations Cards;
(h) Pension Documents such as ex-servicemen’s Pension Book/Pension Payment order, ex-servicemen’s Widow/Dependent Certificates, Old Age Pension Order, Widow Pension Order;
(i) Railway Identity Cards;
(j) Income Tax Identity (PAN) Cards;
(k) Bank/ Kisan/Post Office Passbooks;
(l) Student Identity Cards issued by Recognized Educational Institutions;
(m) Driving Licenses; and
(n) Birth Certificates issued under the RBD Act.
- From what I could infer, at least in Andhra Pradesh, the only way of submitting Tatkal applications for new/reissue of passport is through online registration. The reason for this being Tatkal registrations are accepted only in Passport Offices. And for submitting an application for New/Reissue of passport at the Passport Office, online registration is mandatory. Therefore for submitting Tatkal applications, online registration is required.
Bookmark/Search this post with